Wednesday, January 12, 2011

AHOY MATEY!

I received some email feedback on yesterday's post (thank you) and wanted to answer a question and also share the answer to one of my own.

First - the little thingy on the back of a button that you have to cut off to make it lay flat is called a "shank". I DID know this, but couldn't pull the word out of my befuddled brain when I was posting. Thanks to Sarah J. for the answer to that piece of trivia. Thanks too Sarah for providing another sentiment for the Polar Bears - "Thanks for "bear"ing my Burden" is a winner!

Gloria W. wanted to know which Copics I used to give the Polar Bears definition without changing them from white. In this case I used 3 shades of cool gray - C3, C1, C00 - just small amounts of each. I tried to leave ALOT of white space.

Today's card uses another "oldie but goodie" from Stampin'Up! called SCHOONER. I'm really drawn to the artistic renderings of some of the older SU! sets and have been happy to see more of that style coming back into the most recent catalogs.



I used two images from this set - the ship and the captain's wheel. Again because the ship's sail is white I didn't want to add too much color - but did want a little color in the shadow areas. I used Y21 - Butternut Yellow over the shadowed areas then used B000 - Pale Porcelain Blue here and there around the edges of each sail, in the clouds and in the water. I chose to use the Butternut Yellow because it matches the So Saffron card base perfectly and unifies the theme. The ship hull was colored using E57-Light Walnut and E31 - Brick Beige.

I sponged around the edges of all the white and So Saffron pieces of the card using So Saffron and Soft Suede inks. The main image is backed in Marina Mist and Early Expresso cardstock and the greeting and wheel are back in Early Expresso and popped up on dimensionals.

I added the brad to the wheel, scoring to the card base and piercing to add a little extra texture and dimension.

The greeting is computer generated.

I had fun making this card. I'm challenging you to pull out some of your old sets and put them to use again and don't be afraid to play with color. Who would think you could use butternut yellow to shade a white sail!

Until Next Time -
Happy Stamping!

Jill

No comments: