Saturday, February 5, 2011

AHEAD OF THE GAME

Hah! For once, I am actually ahead of the game and have several of my valentine cards already made! Not that I don't have a stash of greeting cards for general occasion and birthdays, but I am rarely prepared with holiday cards and am always hurrying at the last minute to come up with ideas and time to actually put the ideas to paper. I don't know what's happened to me! Perhaps it was hubby's request for the ladies at work that spurred me to action. Whatever it was I managed to create 3 treat boxes and 4 cards last night into the pre-dawn hours this morning. Four down with several more to go - but I'm off to a good start.

This is my favorite of the 4 cards and the third one I created. I really like everything about it - and the shabby chic poppy was just too fun to make - even tho' it's just a tad bigger than planned.



The first three cards were created using basically the same supplies.
Stampin'Up!:Raspberry Tart Designer Paper; Whisper White, Real Red and Basic Black cardstock, Punch Potpourri Stamp Set, Heart Punch, Old Olive & Pretty in Pink markers (Copics were used on the card above) and Black & White Gingham Ribbon.

The embossing folder used is Cuttlebug's Love Language and the buttons were purchased at Hobby Lobby years ago.

This next card was created after the card above and uses left-over pieces from rejected ideas. I made this at about 3 a.m. this morning - and looking at it now, I realize it should have been made in the vertical format because my embossed hearts are floating sideways. Oh well - at that time of the morning my brain was probably floating sideways and only functioning because of the amount of caffeine being pored into my veins!

The last card created (finished at 4:45 a.m.) goes in a totally different direction than the first three and was made with a particular "red-hating" friend in mind. It still incorporates the main heart image, punch, markers, Soft Suede ink and Whisper White cardstock - but the change in cardstock colors and embossing folder has given it a softer, more romantic effect. I used Pink Pirouette Cardstock, the floral spray is from SU! GENTLER TIMES and is stamped in Pretty In Pink ink, and the embossing was done using Cuttlebug's Textiles Embossing folder and Nestabilities Scalloped Rectangles.

I'm not crazy about the placement of the heart - maybe it's too small or maybe it's the sponging around the edge that makes it look "off" - I can't quite decide - but with the floral sprays in the opposing corners it was the only placement that seemed to work. Suggestions?

TIP: Use the STAMP-A-MAJIG to get the perfect placement of the floral sprays. It works BEAUTIFULLY!!!!

So what do you think? Do you have a favorite?

Stay tuned - there'll be more to come in the next few days.

Until then - Happy Stamping!

Jill

2 comments:

Kay M said...

Now, see, the pink one is my favorite! I don't think you need to do anything to it. I like the heart in the middle, the offset flowers, the scallop trim and the brocade background with the pearls. I don't think you need to change this card at all.

Louise said...

Exactly what Kay M said. It's perfect and so soft and beautiful. The others are pretty, but I really like the pink one. And how can you stay up so late?