Friday, February 4, 2011

VALENTINE TREAT BOX

What would you do if your husband called you from work and asked if you would make 3 Valentine cards for the ladies he lunches with every day???? Uhm - hello???? You want me to make a Valentine card for not one - but three - other women - and you can't even remember my birthday without a reminder????? If he were a different type of man - I might be jealous. If he were a different type of man - I wouldn't even consider it. But because he is the man he is, I promptly said "sure", hung up the phone and then began thinking about how I could make a Valentine card without it being an invitation to one or more of those women to "be 'his' Valentine". LOL! I finally decided that a treat box and not a card was the safest way to go with this - especially since one of the women is single and we don't want her thinking he's making a play for her affection. The treat box and the fact that he is giving all the women the same thing at the same time should help with that.

Here's the box. It's finished size is 3"x3"x1".



The box is created using PRETTY IN PINK cardstock cut to 9" x 5", scored at 1" on all sides then scored at 4" and 5". I embossed the top with the Cuttlebug Embossing Folder: Swiss Dots. The heart was stamped with the heart image from PUNCH POTPOURRI in SOFT SUEDE INK with the stems colored with an OLD OLIVE MARKER. I colored the flowers, after the image was stamped, with a PRETTY IN PINK marker. Then I punched out the image with the SU! HEART PUNCH and sponged around the edge with REAL RED INK. I tore "hearts" from REAL RED and BASIC BLACK cardstock then lightly sponged the edges with CRAFT WHITE INK. The red paper heart was adhered to the black heart using SNAIL ADHESIVE, while the stamped heart is popped up with DIMENSIONALS to allow the length of ribbon to slide underneath and around the box. I placed the little heart-shaped plastic button from Hobby Lobby to add an extra bit of "pop".

For the inside top of the box, I cut a 2.75" square of designer paper, punched out the center with the HEART PUNCH, and sponged the edges with REAL RED INK. The sentiment is from the SU! set HOLIDAYS AND WISHES and stamped in BASIC BLACK INK. I punched holes for the brads but then attached the sentiment using Glue dots rather than have the brads poking through the designer paper. I originally used the Satin Ribbon shown in this photo to tie up the package - but decided it was too formal for the torn edges of the black & red hearts, so I changed it to the red & white gingham ribbon shown in the first photo. The gingham worked MUCH better.

The treat is a a LITTLE DEBBIE "BE MY VALENTINE" cream filled cake and purchased at Walmart. They come packaged two to a pack - so I cut the package open, ate one of the cakes (yes, I REALLY DID!!!!) and then taped up the end of the package before putting it in the box. THAT was my favorite part - and the good news is I have two more to make! LOL!

Thanks for visiting -
and until next time -
Give thanks for all those blessings we take for granted.

Jill

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I love the treat box, but the story behind it even more.

Anonymous said...

Kelly said....
You made me laugh out loud.