Thursday, October 23, 2008

DON'T THROW AWAY THOSE SCRAPS!!!!

Seriously! Hang onto those scraps you get from cutting into your nice Designer Papers and cardstock. They really do come in handy. Yesterday I posted a card I made in which I had cut a large scalloped circle from a piece of Chocolate & White Polkadot Designer Paper. Last night as I was trying to decide what to do with this adorable snow globe idea from "thinkinchair" on Splitcoast, I remembered the scrap "frame" that was created when I cut the scalloped circle. It worked perfectly and I was glad I saved it so that I didn't have to waste a piece of DP to get the effect.

This little snowglobe was created using the Stampin'Up! Tab Punch, a circle Nestabilities, and my BigShot. I purchased the image from Rubberneckers. It comes in a set of 4 stamps (3 penguins and an ornament stamp) and is absolutely adorable! The cardstock colors are Creamy Caramel, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, and Soft Sky with the piece of scrap Bella Rose Polka Dot Designer Paper framing the cut out Nestabilities scallops. The little "Merry Christmas" stamp is one I've had for several years and I don't remember the manufacturer/distributor name. I added Stardust Stickles to the globe to create the falling snow effect and added a bit of shadowing and highlights to the base to add a bit of 3-d effect.

This second card I made last night is another idea for my Christmas cards this year. I just CAN'T decide on a design this year - normally I have the idea by July and the cards finished by now - but not this year. I don't know why it's so difficult - maybe because I have so many different ideas and styles it's making it harder. Anyway - enough of that. The cardstock for this card was purchased at Hobby Lobby (because I'm out of Chocolate Chip until my next SU order) but are very similar to SU's Chocolate Chip and Creamy Caramel. The sentiment was purchased at Hobby Lobby and was stamped in VersaMark onto Chocolate Chip and heat embossed using Ancient Gold brand Antique Gold embossing powder. It's really cool looking IRL as it has a glimmer of other colors when the light hits it just right. I tied a gold ribbon around the base and then layered it onto a piece of thin, gold shimmery paper and then layered again onto Chocolate Brown CS. The card base was dry embossed with the BigShot and a Cuttlebug Embossing folder. It was very quick to create and I love the sentiment and the simple but clean look. I'm rethinking the ribbon - this one was all I had at home and is a little too "shiny". I might try raffia for a more homespun "straw in the stable" looking finish.


Thanks for visiting today. Don't forget the Crafter's Flea Market on Saturday in Galesburg. I don't have much money right now - but you know I just HAVE to go and take a peek!


Have a good day.

Jill

No comments: