Thursday, July 16, 2009

BACK TO BASICS

THE NEW HOLIDAY MINI is posted on my sidebar. The product is not available for purchase until September 1st, but it never hurts to get an early peek so you can start planning those holidays cards, table settings and decorations. Just click on the photo and it will open the catalog - ALL 40 PAGES!!!!

With today's post, I'm going back to the basics - or should I say, back to the beginning. When I first started papercrafting I wasn't a stamper, I was a scrapbooker. Waaaaaaay back when I was a child I would cut photos out of magazines, paste them in notebooks, doodle designs and drawings around them and write down whatever thoughts about it came to mind. Sometimes it was about a beautiful sunset, sometimes a movie star and sometimes it might be an actual photograph of the cute neighbor boy - his photo of course was ALWAYS adorned with hearts and doodles with "Mr. and Mrs. So and So" scribbled in the margin...( his actual name is witheld to protect the unsuspecting!)

So, it's hard for me to believe I haven't done any real scrapbooking in almost a year - (Yes the photos are filling my harddrive) but I have a workshop coming up where the participants are mostly scrapbookers NOT stampers - which gave me an opportunity to play a little. I scrap 12x12 as most of us do I think - but I selfishly didn't want to use 12x12 sheets of DP and/or cardstock for make n takes so for our project we are making 6x6 size inserts. They can always incorporate it onto a 12x12 layout later.

The pumpkin was made using the small oval punch and then lightly sponging Pumpkin Pie ink around the edges. I also used:
Sizzix Alphabet in Always Artichoke
SU! Sizzix Little Leaves in Always Artichoke
SU! Bella Bleu Designer Paper
Chocolate Chip Cardstock
Pumpkin Pie Cardstock
White Gel Pen
SU! Soft Suede Polka Dot Ribbon

I searched the internet for a "pumpkin" greeting - they are difficult to find btw - and found this quote by Henry David Thoreau. I think somewhere I have the perfect photo for this - when my son was small we would go to a nearby orchard/farm each fall to purchase apple cides, apples and our pumpkin for a Jack-o-lantern. I have a photo of him carrying the largest pumpkin he could carry at the time. I could also leave it empty until this fall and take him back there. Then I could get a photo of him actually sitting on one of the huge pumpkins they have on display. Hmmmmmm! What to do?

That's all for today. Make sure to take a peek at the new Holiday Mini catalog. It's 40 pages of goodies.

Until next time -
Happy Stamping (or if you prefer - Happy Scrapping!)
Jill

1 comment:

Louise said...

What a cute idea for the pumpkin!
I never would have thought of that and it's perfect! Lovely card.