Wednesday, July 8, 2009

BIG SHOT PROJECT - REVISION

The consensus regarding my earlier post is that my yellow BigShot project sample card stinks! Let this be a lesson to all of you - stick with what you love. I HATE the color yellow. I DON'T LIKE to use bright colors when I make my cards. I DON'T LIKE alot of white space. So what happened with my card this morning? I used someone else's layout (it's in the catalog) and tried to get out of my 'comfort zone' and use colors that I DON'T LIKE. You SAW how that turned out!!!

So, tonight when I got home from work, the house was quiet and I set to work to revise that disastrous attempt. It was time to create from my heart and not my head. I had to use the same die because I was one of the last to sign up for the BigShot project and all the other dies I own were already spoken for. So knowing that I was cutting a flower containing layers I looked through my DP stash and the only other DP paper pack I have that is still in the current catalog was Bella Bleu. I LOVE that paper. So I picked two of the pieces and die cut my flower layers. Next I cut deep into the petal of each layer so that I could form them into a softer, 3-D shape. I used one of my FAVORITE techniques and sponged the edges of each flower in Not Quite Navy Ink. I connected the three larger layers with dimensionals then pierced the center with a piercing tool and stuck a Chocolate Chip Corduroy Button/Brad through the hole. Okay. I LIKE the flower! So far so good.

Next step: Choosing the Cardstock. I knew I wanted to use the new Soft Suede ribbon on the card in some fashion so I chose Kraft cardstock for the cardbase. I LOVE that color!!! and it blends so nicely with both the Soft Suede and the touch of Sahara Sand that is in the DP. Then I pulled out a stamp set that I also LOVE - Itty Bitty Backgrounds - and used my FAVORITE of the four stamps to create little specks on the Kraft cardstock in Chocolate Chip ink. Another look that I LOVE. I knew that I wanted to use Soft Suede cardstock behind the flower to really make the flower "pop" so I needed a third color to make my browns seperate. I chose Not Quite Navy as a mat and sponged the edges in the same color. The Soft Suede background is stamped using the Itty Bitty Backgrounds stamp in Chocolate Chip then sponged around the edges in the same color. I used mini copper brads in the 4 corners of the flower mat then cut and adhered two strips of trimmed ribbon to finish.

So what do you think of the revision? I stuck with the things I LOVE - muted, earthy colors; edge sponging; a touch of distressing and a few small embellishments - and created something that I like. That's the key you know: STICK WITH THE THINGS YOU LOVE!

It's okay to step out of your comfort zone now and then - just don't plan on LOVING the result! LOL!!!!!

Until Next Time -
Happy Stamping!
Jill

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one is soooooo you. It was a big difference. It is okay to step out of your comfort zone but when your zone is dead on why wonder down another path. You Are Awesome.

kim
k1i2m3@cox.net

Louise said...

This one is beautiful!

You did good! I don't think the other one was "awful" but this one is definitely 100% easier on the eyes.

Gloria said...

I like the colors! Nice revision!

Becky said...

This is really so you :), I love this, it is gorgeously warm.