Wednesday, July 22, 2009

HYDRANGEAS UNDER GLASS

Have you tried the cracked glass technique yet? I love the look - like something from another era- and found the perfect stamp to use with it at Hobby Lobby.

To create the main image of this piece I stamped the collage image on SU! Very Vanilla using a Memento Brown ink. Then lightly colored the image with Koh-I-Noor pencils. These pencils are fairly bright colors so I toned them down using a brown pencil to lightly color over areas of the image. I used SU! Creamy Caramel to sponge around the edges and very lightly in and around the image then applied 3 coats of UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel). The trick to getting the cracked glass effect is to put the finished piece in the freezer for about 5 minutes then CARFULLY bend areas of the cardstock so that it cracks. I dotted 3 drops of Close to Cocoa refill on the piece then smeared it over the entire surface with a sponge dauber so that it would permeate the cracks then I wiped the excess off with a paper towel. A mat of Perfect Plum, some piercing and sponging, and a simple greeting finish off the vintage feel.

If you haven't tried this technique yet - give it a go. I'd love to see what you "see" as you're being creative.

Don't forget the Stampin'Up! Deal of the Week.
The Styled Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware kit for just $18.99. It's a great deal and the pieces look so beautiful on cards.

I'm off to work now and then later off to the car dealership to purchase ANOTHER vehicle. Remember this post: I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR YOU from May? It was the starting point of my "new van" saga. They STILL can't diagnose and correct the problem and after being stranded roadside 4 times in 21 days they are making me a "deal" on a different vehicle. I'm actually GETTING $300 MORE than what I originally paid for the defective vehicle but of course the vehicle we're purchasing is about $900 more than the one we purchased in April and THIS time we are getting a 2 year - 24,000 mile extended warranty! but I am still gun-shy. When you say your prayers today say one for me that this vehicle will run until we get her paid for (and then some) and that she won't be in and out of the shop with "nickel and dime" repairs. This is the "new" new vehicle!

Thanks so much for stopping by -
Have a great day and
Until next time -
Happy Stamping!
Jill

2 comments:

Becky said...

Fabulous card, I have not tried this tech yet, but it is a most. God be with you with the purchase of this new one.

Gloria said...

I have read about Cracked Glass technique, but never tried it. YOur card is beautiful!

THE HHR is NICE! I am so glad they are making you a good deal and all this van problems will be settled.

God does take care of us, in HIS time!