Saturday, May 8, 2010

MASCULINE GRADUATION CARD

My family has a few graduations this month - a great-nephew from high school, a nephew from high school and a great-niece from 8th grade. Feminine cards are no problem for me but cards for males over the age of 8 are difficult. I like embellishments - but sometimes they frill up a card too much and it comes out looking more girlish than manly - especially if I use ribbon. However, I did use ribbon on today's project and I think it still is suitably masculine.
Another thing I struggle with is gift buying for young men so I knew from the start I wanted to create a card that was a money holder. I used WHISPER WHITE cardstock and cut it to 6" x 9.5". Then I scored across the width at 3" and 6.25". The 3" flap was cut at an angle so that the cash peeks out from the top, right side of the flap.

I used 3 coordinating designer papers from REMINISCE. I chose more formal designs in white, black, and silver. I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but each of the papers have just the slightest shimmer. Very elegant. I also used SU! GOING GRAY as a mat for the front background.

Once I covered the cardbase with designer paper, I applied a very thin line of glue along the left edge of the inside of the flap to help secure the money. Only the top and right edges of the flap remain open.

The graduation greeting on the inside of the card was borrowed from a friend. It is manufactured in 1999 by PSX STAMPS. First I used the EMBOSSING BUDDY on a piece of WHISPER WHITE cardstock then stamped the image in VERSAMARK and heat embossed using BLACK DETAIL embossing powder. I used a SPELLBINDERS NESTABIILITIES CIRCLE to cutout the design then layered it on a larger circle of SU! GOING GRAY! I applied adhesive to the bottom 1/3 of the medallion and adhered it to the flap.

For the embellishments I added a length of silvery-gray and white striped ribbon to help hold the card closed. Normally I don't use ribbon on a masculine card, but this card was too elegant for twine or raffia but I wanted something to hold money secure on the right side so it wouldn't slip out as the card was removed from the envelope. I thought I was safe with a striped ribbon tied in a knot.

The card looked pretty good at this point but I felt it still needed a little "pop". I cut a strip of white computer paper, rolled it up, glued it close to the exposed edge then tied a very tiny length of 1/8" black satin ribbon. VOILA! A very quick and easy diploma. I attached it to the ribbon knot with SU! MINI GLUE DOTS.

Since my great-nephew and nephew are on opposite sides of the family I decided to make 2 of the same card. I liked the results of the first one and besides, it saved me from having to come up with yet another masculine design!

Hope you liked the project today - I certainly enjoyed creating it.

Until Next Time -
Happy Stamping!!!!

Jill

3 comments:

Louise said...

Great idea! Very nice.
Have a good day creating!

Kay M said...

What a fantastic "male" card! It's perfect - ribbon and all!

Gloria said...

I REALLY like the whole layout, use of designer papers, and the final touch of the diploma!
:)