Sunday, April 19, 2009

EMBOSSED ROSES

I had a wonderful day yesterday - spent the entire afternoon and evening with my wonderful friend, Cindy - talking, stamping and laughing! Absolutely wonderful!

We got off to a slow start with the stamping - I think each of us spent an about 2 hours finishing our first card - but after we got started we were on a roll. We both completed 4 cards - and I was actually pleased with the results.

My card was inspired by this wonderful card by Joanne Travis. Do you see the resemblance? No? Well let me explain the inspiration. My plan was to completely recreate her card so I started out by stamping the leaves in Always Artichoke across the bottom of the card. Then I colored the Clematis. Once I began placing the flowers I realized I HATED HOW IT WAS LOOKING!!! I don't know how Joanne made her card appear so clean and vibrant. After I spent about 15 minutes trying to make it look good I decided the best way to do that was to cut off the bottom of the card to remove the most of the leaves. Then I stamped more around the other three sides to create a frame. The plan at THAT point was to center the Clematis blooms in the frame and pop them up on dimensionals. STILL HATED IT!!!

I don't know why I decided to use my new Manhattan Roses embossing folder over the mess I had made - I was going to throw it away and start over - but the folder is new and I wanted to try some different effects - so I threw the card in the embossing folder and away I went.
I colored the image using Koh-I-Noor woodless pencils and OMS inside the embossed lines of the rose - then added sky in and around the leaves. A little lace embellishment and a small sentiment and it's finished. FINALLY - and the really great part? I LIKE IT!

Thanks for visiting - and until tomorrow

Happy Stamping!
Jill

3 comments:

Becky said...

Gorgeous rose, beautiful card. I know how it is to get together with friends and stamp, 4 hours later we are lucky to get one card done :). I just did a stamp by SU "in the garden" that puppy is big, what was I thinking :) Have a blessed day.

Joanne Travis said...

Jill, this is absolutely stunning!! I love the Manhattan flower with this, the leaves are perfect for the rose. I am so honored that I inspired you to create something like this. This is so beautiful and unique and I really love it! You have really brightened my day by sharing your lovely card.
Joanne
:)

Anonymous said...

Love the card, great inspiration for a mom's day card. But what is OMS? Sorry, I am still new and do not know all the acronyms.