Monday, September 21, 2009

FUN WITH FOIL

Remember when Stampin'Up! first released the BigShot last Fall and one of the big selling points was the list of more than 50 substances/materials that it would cut? I LOVED that and after trying the machine just ONE time at a stamp event to cut cardstock letters knew I had to buy it.

Well - here it is a year later and guess what? I STILL love my BigShot! The only thing is, until last night the only things I'd cut with it were cardstock and felt. THEN I saw a challenge on the internet to use aluminum foil on a card. I had actually participated in that challenge a couple of years ago - before the BigShot was released - and sadly my attempt at being creative with foil failed miserably. This time however, I am much more pleased with the result.

This is a Christmas CAS card (Clean And Simple). I've seen embossed metal before on cards at scrapbooks stores - but they always used a spackle like substance on the back so the thin metal sheets would hold the embossed designs. There had to be a way around that. Enter the BigShot, the Stampin'Up! Impressions Folder: Petals a Plenty, aluminum foil and cardstock.

All I had to do to help the aluminum keep its design was to wrap it around a piece of cardstock cut to the right size for my design and run it through the big shot. The cardstock center keeps the design from smashing when you adhere it to the background.

What do you think? I love the high shine - especially for Christmas. A little silver accent piece, a little ribbon and one small stamp finish the design and make it the perfect, quick card to send to all the friends and relatives. It's another "10 minutes or less" card. And if you are one of those "bling" lovers you could always add 3 little red gemstones vertically along the top right side to balance the card and make yourself happy!

Hope you enjoyed today's post and will try your hand at this quick and easy technique.

Until next time -
Happy Stamping!
Jill

No comments: